Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Women's-Work" Word of the Day: FILING 8/20

I figured today would be easy. Make a couple of aluminum doublers for the rear Horizontal Stab spar, prep the spar web/flange, and put it together. Well, it was "easy" in that it didnt' take much brain power, but holy cow. Between the initial filing and shaping it to fit the within the bend radius of the flange, I spent about 6 hours doing nothing but filing, and I'm still only mostly done with the upper doubler! My upper arms and chest muscles are screaming at me already. (If this continues I may get rid of my Lunch-Lady arm flab, so NOT complaining!)

The photos show the HS kit before I started, with Ben's RV-10 and RV-8 horizontal stabs hanging on the wall. (Ben's 10 stab is the first "real" airplane project I ever worked on.) The next photo is the raw bar stock before I cut out the doublers. The last photo shows the upper doubler almost filed to shape... it will have to wait til morning.  Notice the laid-out strip of belt sand paper I screwed to the table for use as a "sanding block."

No comments:

Post a Comment