Friday, July 2, 2010

More Clues: Wing Plans From Van's Dust Bin 1.5/9

The one major item missing from my pile-o-parts is the plans. Ben talked with some folks at Van's last week and they managed to scrounge up some old plans for the -3. (The lady over there said, "Make sure she knows they are old-- REALLY old!") Apparently they are whatever they could find from the 80s. The good news is, they showed up in the mail today along with drawings, photos and instructions for both change notices for the wing spars. Woo hoo! And, I finally have written instructions on how to build the spars. (Van's old typewriter-pounded instructions. Neat.)  The problem is, Drawings 4 and 5 of the wing plan sheets are still missing. So, I don't know all of the details about how to build the spars yet. The plans I do have are from 1984, which means they are the Type II spars. Even though my spar webs are Type I vintage, I'll probably build the Type II wings which feature thicker spar cap laminations. Someone stole the useful aluminum angle and bar stock out of the kit anyway, so no biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment